07 December, 2011

Look, he wrote "White Wedding", he can be forgiven the occasional misstep.

Note: Today's topic comes courtesy of (read: ripped off from) the Weekly Waste's "This Week's Link That's Probably Not That Great".
What you see to your left, mon petit illiterati, is, yes, a video of Billy Idol rapping. I didn't know that this was a thing he did but that's not the point. The point is that this highly polished rap video, with production value and the little MTV-esque credits thing in the lower left hand corner at the beginning and dancing women and the inexplicable car-and-motorcycle-parked-inside-combo*, is really [SPOILER!] an Ikea commercial.** For real. I'm sure that, after watching that, you found yourself in a state of utter disbelief, just as I was but, trust me, that was a thing. That happened. Billy Idol rapped and he rapped for Ikea.

* For real, has anybody else noticed this trend where rap videos have been, for probably the past ten years or so (coincidentally when this was filmed), inundated with shots of stationary vehicles on a soundstage and the performers just kind of do their thing around said parked vehicles? Am I the only one to whom this makes no sense? You know? Am I supposed to be impressed by the fact that they're standing next to a car (that they probably don't own) or a motorcycle (that they probably can't drive)? Would you be impressed if I shot a rock video and I was playing guitar next to an iPad (that I don't own and probably couldn't operate because I'm a PC guy)?

** You can either highlight that text or watch the video all the way to the end. I trust you to go for the one with the more substantial emotional payoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.