04 June, 2009

Tempo automation kind of solved.

Continued the tempo stretching experiment because I figured there had to be a way to do this. There had to be. What I did was take each section that I had marked off with tempo notations and recorded the drum pattern at that speed. From there, I loaded each variation of the drum pattern into the project, each one labeled 95.55BPM, 95.16BPM, 95.38BPM, and so on and so forth. Starting with the first drum section, 95.55BPM, I attempted to use the time stretching in the sample properties (rather than the tempo for the project) to get the section to speed up and lock itself to the grid when the change to the next tempo, 95.917BPM occurred. Well, that shit didn't work, so I went a different route.
I decided that since we're dealing with a tempo fluctuation of +/-.482BPM over the course twelve minutes (and twelve minutes of droning, it's like I'm in the Velvet Underground all of a sudden), that I would run the drum patterns at the average tempo, which came out to 95.579BPM.
My figuring was like this:
Say Section A runs along at a tempo of "1".
Section B runs along at a tempo of "2".
Why not just fit both Section A and Section B to a tempo of "1.5"?
You see, in this instance, Section A runs along at the aforementioned 95.55BPM and it has been set to play at that speed. Section B has been recorded to play back at 95.917BPM
At 97.579, Section A is going to run a little long because it's slower, so we shorten the section so that it ends where Section B begins. Section B runs a bit short because it's faster, so we lengthen it so that it ends where Section C begins, you get me? We're not locking anything to a grid except the beginnings and endings of each section, so that the drums are still playing off of the guitar and the hits and changes come in where they're supposed to.
Just trust me, it works. It was the long way around, but it works.

In other news, Maran came and grabbed her stuff. I am calm again. That's taken care of.

2 comments:

  1. I know this is off topic, but I just saw Tim Burton is remaking Alice in Wonderland. Thought you'd like to know.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.